The Presbyterian Church in Camden was established before the American Revolutionary War; its first sanctuary was destroyed during that war, and two more were built c. 1790 and 1806. The present sanctuary was designed by Robert Mills, then already an architect of some reputation, and was completed in 1822. It is stylistically more Classical than some of his later work, and is one of his few surviving ecclesiastical designs. Although the building underwent a number of alterations, especially in the late 19th century, most of these changes were reversed in the 20th century, and the building bears a significant resemblance to Mills' original design.

In front of the sanctuary is a monument, also designed by Robert Mills, dedicated to the memory of Baron DeKalb, a Continental Army soldier killed in the 1780 at the Battle of Camden.

The church (along with the accompanying DeKalb monument) was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1985. It is also a contributing property within the City of Camden.

Home Contact Us
Empowered by Extend, a church software solution from